• Grades 6, 7 and 8 will compete in the Middle School Category. Grades 9, 10, 11 and 12 will compete in the High School Category.
• Each submission must include a completed Consent Form (refer to www.atlanticinstitutesc.org/contest)
signed by the student, sponsoring teacher, and at least one (1) parent or legal guardian
and be submitted on-line. Participants consent to transfer copyrights of their artwork to Atlantic Institute
• Artwork can be submitted in virtually any media, including the following subcategories:
o Graphic Design
• Students may only submit one (1) piece of artwork (in any medium) within the art section. Students who submit work in the art section are still allowed 1 submission in the essay section.
• All artwork must be two-dimensional.
All artwork must include an “Artist’s
Statement” of no more than 200 words and be submitted on the registration website (please see to submit the artwork instructions). Without the Artist’s Statement, the corresponding piece will receive a zero on a section of the rubric (refer to
Art Contest Rubric) used to evaluate artwork.
• Each submission must include on the back of the piece:
o Student’s Name
o Sponsoring Teacher's Name
o Sponsoring Teacher's E-mail
o Principal’s Name
• Artwork must be original, unpublished, and done by one person.
• Submissions must be received no later than December 7, 2016
• Artwork will not be returned; it will be auctioned at a fundraiser for a community event.
• To submit artwork:
o Complete the form(including your artist statement),print it, and attach it to the back of your art work.
o Then either mail the art work to:
Atlantic Institute, 909 Shull Street, West Columbia, SC 29169
or drop it off at one of the designated locations between November 30th and December 7th (please call the drop off sites for hours of operation).
• General guidelines for all art submissions EXCEPT photography and graphic design:
o Traditional media categories include Drawing, Painting, and Collage: Original work must be
15” x 20” and mounted or
(not matted) on an illustration board that is also 15” x 20”
o All images must be two-dimensional, original, and not appropriated from any other resource unless dramatically altered.
• General guidelines for photography submissions
Photography work – includes color
and black and white:
8.5” by 11” photo paper
. Please do NOT
frame and do NOT mount photography
• General guidelines for graphic design submissions
o Graphic design work is defined as the use of computer media and innovative computer applications in art.
Original artwork must be
8.5”x11” and mounted on illustration
that is also
o Please do NOT matt graphic design work.
• DISQUALIFYING FACTORS
o Artwork may be disqualified automatically or receive a lower score if any of these criteria are not met. Please follow the directions for each submission.
o Please note that in the art section, the Atlantic Institute reserves the right not to recognize winners for any categories lacking an appropriate number of quality submissions as deemed by the professional judges.
ART DROP-OFF LOCATIONS
Artist & Craftsman
: 143 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401, 843-560-4507
Artist & Craftsman
: 981 King St., Charleston, SC 29401, 843-937-5199
oThe Arts Center of Clemson: 212 Butler Street, Clemson, SC 29631, 864-633-5051
: 909 Shull Street, West Columbia, SC 29169, 803-386-4377
Tapp’s Art Center
: 1644 Main Center, 1644 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201, 803-988-0013
oThe Village Artist: 631-8 Promenade Place, Columbia, SC 29229, 803-699-8886
oAtlantic Institute: 12 Davis Keats Drive, Greenville, SC 29607, 864-991-8089
oThe Children’s Museum of the Upstate: 300 College Street at Heritage, Greenville, SC 29601, 864-552-7903
oCentre Stage Theatre: 501 River St (in the back of the Morgan Stanley bldg.), Greenville, SC 29601, 864-233-6733 ext 15
oBeads and Brushstrokes: 918C Lansing Drive, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464, 843-884-8808
oThe Chapman Cultural Center: 200 East St. John Street Spartanburg, SC 29306, 864-278-9693
oArt Central Fine Arts Gallery: 130 Central Avenue, Summerville, SC 29483, 843-871-0297
oSumter County Gallery of Art: 200 Hasel Street, Sumter, SC 29150, 803-775-0543
oPalmetto Area Cultural Arts Center at The Artory: 123 Gossett St. Williamston, SC, 864-933-3317